Saturday, February 18, 2017

"Black Liberation"

 


My mother’s truth stung like a poisoned orchid


Black Liberation


Africa’s sons lie dead in the streets shackled

My eyes were black and melanated and colorism was a hungry thief in Ghana and in the Hollywood hills

My frizzy coils ran wild and free around my Senegalese brown face


Where’s the justice Yemaya?

   

Black liberation


I am an African daughter topless in a sarong made of kente cloth and I was sentenced to a manor in the south stirring hot grits for the morning and scrub the dirty floors clean for the White man
A house for clouds was a forbidden heaven of ancient suns that rose 

 

Black liberation


Black liberation on a college campus and the professor crumpled up my jamba wamba

I had a teacup philosophy


Fear for your lives in a Black church on Sunday 

Good christian folks were hardworking living in quiet neighborhoods on city blocks 

 

Black liberation

Fascism is killing our Black lives matter is the blood of the innocent 


Keep strong!


Blooming things were stunted in the family home of Theodore Collins 


Real freedom in the diaspora was like a dog chasing its own tail


Black liberation


Massa want to rape Kissy in the cottonfileds and murder our Blackness in Bondage while we prayed to a White image of Christ


Black liberation


Our Orishas have fallen as my long braids spill forward as I kneel down on African soil my hands reaching out to Olodumare to save me as I turn my head there is a pink neon sign that reads “Miami” 


The moon is a gray womb inside of a moth 

She watches the slavemaster on horseback round up our ancestors in the night while our babies are asleep they want to bring Jim Crow back 

We’re barely breathing on death row

Where is Yemaya?

Where is justice for the night mirror?


The sun was riding on a gray horse as my chains loosened and I spoke profanities 

In the English language with my puffy lips with a violet velvet moon in my hand


Death captured in cinema was a deposition of a robed Emperor by a gunman


My freedom sings in a news clip


My freedom sings in an African American art gallery


My freedom sings of the gospel of Sojourner Truth


My freedom sings of the gospel of Harriet Tubman


My freedom sings of the gospel of Nat Turner


My freedom sings in the minds of Black Intelligence 


My freedom sings in a gospel choir


My freedom sings of a Buffalo Soldier


My freedoms sings in a Black College


I light a candle for my freedom 


 

Where is the justice Yemaya?


Black liberation



By Tiffany Haty

July 23, 2026















No comments:

Post a Comment

Introduction

Hello, my name is Tiffany Haty. I am a proud cat mom, struggling student, and published author. Last spring my creative non-fiction piece ti...